Friday, April 22, 2011

Gestational Diabetes

So this past Thursday I was 21 weeks along in my pregnancy with twins (according to dates and not actual size of babies). After reviewing all my test results my midwife tell me that she wants me to start checking my blood sugar level three times a day. Once before a meal and then 1 hour after lunch and an hour after dinner.

So starting today that's what i did. Now let me say that while at the doctors office she told me that the only level they were concerned with was my FASTING level which basically means that i haven't eaten for at least 12 hours prior to having my blood drawn. The other level which is after a meal is good and no problema. So i asked what my score was she told me 105 was my fasting score and that it needed to be below 95. Now i was little concerned because Ron had told me that he used to work with diabetic people before in a past job and that what they wanted your level to be between was 80-120.

So today i pricked my finger this morning and got a score of 131 as my fasting level. An hour after lunch it was 133 and then an hour after dinner it was 114. Since they haven't put me on medication and just having me check my blood sugar level I have been a littel skeptical. Please don't get me wrong i want to make sure both of my babies and myself are very healthy and since she said my levels were elevated i have made changes to my diet mainly taking out a ton of sugar i was eating.

But tonight after looking at my latest score I thought to myself hmm may be i should check with ADA and see what they say the levels should be. Now the ADA is the American Diabetic Association. So looked it up and this is what they say your blood sugar levels should be.

Preprandial plasma glucose (before a meal)

70-130 mg/dl (5.0-7.2mmol/l)

Postprandial plasma glucose (after a meal)

&lt;180mg/dl (<10.0mmol/l)

If this is what is stated by the ADA I wanna know why she is telling me it needs to be 95 or below. I'm a little irritated. I know that i am overweight but i haven't even gained a pound in a month. So i literally have gained NOTHING since my last doctors appointment. GRRRRRR I'm wondering if i should print out this page and let her know that i do research when i don't agree with what they are saying.

1 comment:

thank you for leaving a comment it always makes me feel special and lets me know i actually have readers.